Well, it’s summertime. The days are longer, the weather is warmer (or the same in LA), and the television season has ended with a welcome purging of “Friends”. And while there are many things to enjoy this time of year such as barbecues and pool parties, we must not forget to show the Tivo some love. After all, summer is the time when some of our favorite television franchises emerge from a yearlong hibernation. Plus, Fox has tickled us pink with a highly publicized new slate of shows that includes a nice potpourri of sitcoms, drama, and reality shows. So in convenient list form, here is the TVgasm Summer Mini-Preview:
What We’re Excited to See
1. CBS Tuesdays: CBS sent a love letter to reality fans in the form of the one-two punch of Big Brother 5 and The Amazing Race 5. Both shows have reputations for being inaccessible, and to a newcomer, this can be true. But if you stick out a week of Big Brother or two episodes of Amazing Race, you’ll be hooked. More than hooked. You’ll be obsessed. Amazing Race won an Emmy for good reason: it’s one of the most exciting shows on television. Big Brother is less tense but more fascinating as alliances build and crumble from show to show.
2. Reno 911! One of the funniest shows on television is back. Finally. If you missed the exploits of Dangle, Wiegel, and the rest of these keystone cops, do yourself a favor and catch one of the marathons this weekend on Comedy Central. New episodes begin this Wednesday at 10:30 pm.
3. North Shore: The OC void promises to be filled with this nighttime soap. We can only hope for more silliness and less pretentiousness. This could be the type of escapist fare that works perfectly in the summer, as long as it doesn’t take itself too seriously. Former Dog-Eat-Dog hostesss Brooke Burns also looks like she may be the next Mischa Barton acting-wise. That’s not a good thing, Brooke.
4. The Casino: Mark Burnett and Fox? Finally. Hopefully this new reality show will be the guilty pleasure The Restaurant never grew to be.
5. Fox Comedies: Fox has a grand tradition of launching unique, interesting comedies that last all of five episodes before cancellation (Andy Richter Controls the Universe, Cracking Up, Undeclared, The Tick, etc.). So based solely on that, I try to watch Fox sitcoms while I can. This summer’s entries: Method & Red and Quintuplets. Hopefully they’ll be good, in which case they’ll probably get cancelled. Thanks, Middle America.
And The Rest…
People are very excited for the return of Nip/Tuck. TVgasm may even weigh in on a few episodes… Six Feet Under returns this summer. Great… Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie drive across America in The Simple Life 2: Road Trip. Can’t wait to see more of that incredibly spontaneous and non-staged reality show!… A bunch of gold diggers line up to embarrass themselves on national TV on For Love Or Money… Six strangers infect South America with their pettiness in Road Rules: X-Treme. I wonder if they’ll bungee jump?… And the once amusing Meet My Parents series has mutated into the reality monster that is Who Wants to Marry My Dad?, a question that probably very few people want to answer.
What are you excited for this summer?