We’d thought we’d seen the last of Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip, Aaron Sorkin’s low-rated, wrong-headed, self-indulgent, bloviating, stultifying, expensive– and eminently watchable– drama about a live network TV comedy show, after NBC unceremoniously yanked it from the schedule and replaced it with The Black Donnellys.
But it lives! Our pal Ray Richmond, the best entertainment columnist in the business, says he’s got it on very good word that the show is back in production!
“A rumor had been going around (imagine that — a rumor on the Internet!) that after having gone back into production earlier this month on episodes 17 through 22, the show had ceased production and the plug finally, irrevocably pulled,” writes Ray. “WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! (Imagine it — an inaccurate rumor on the Internet!) I got the scoop… “…from Lesley Cerwin, the NBC publicist assigned to the show, and she confirmed that production on episode 19 was scheduled to be completed (Wednesday) and work on episode 20 commenced on Thursday.”
So it looks like Sorkin’s folly will get a full season in the can. Ray, who’s a star at The Hollywood Reporter and blogs at Past Deadline, says the show will most likely return in the dead dog days of summer for a “final farewell.
“Don’t hold your breath for the show’s second-season renewal. That probably ain’t happening. Networks typically reserve that stuff for shows that don’t bleed millions of dollars, being as they are in the profit business and all.”
Even so, a victory lap? Considering his wild past, we’d bet Sorkin is holding home videos of somebody in power at NBC.