After the big season finale of FX’s Sons of Anarchy, lots of people wondered why creator Kurt Sutter let that bastard Clay live to see another season. Kurt answered questions and gave us a few “tidbits and teasers” at the recent PaleyFest. The show will start shooting its 5th season in May.
About Clay, Sutter had this to say, “Yeah. The character of Clay was essential to me for at least a couple more seasons. There’s so much more dramatic ground to cover with Jax at the head of that table and Clay now almost the Piney character in that he’s weakened and stripped of some of his previous weight and power. To me, that’s a really interesting dynamic. And quite honestly, I didn’t want to waste the power of Jax having that knowledge and passion and knowing about the deceit that happened and the secret that’s been kept from him for all these years with just one episode of him killing Clay. Because then it’s done. He’s avenged his father’s death and it’s almost like that storyline kind of burns out, and I just feel there’s a lot more story to tell there.”
Other SOA tidbits and teasers:
1. A month will have passed from the end of season 4 and the beginning of season 5.
2. Otto, Sutter’s own character, may be doomed to have a tragic ending. One thing is for sure, he won’t be around much for the new season.
3. FX and Sutter are talking about doing a “First Nine” prequel. This show would focus on the original founders of the motorcycle club and would be set in the 60′s.
4. Sutter plans for the the series to end after it’s 7th season. The “First Nine” would run after the end of SOA.
5. Did you know…. Steven Tyler was originally cast as Dondo the Porn Star/ Porn Producer, but had to be replaced by David Hasselhoff when he went on tour with Aerosmith instead.